Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Cross†Channel

Just finished Cross†Channel.
Genre: Eroge, Post-Apocalyptic, Psychological
Length: 20-30 hours

I give it an 8/10.  Cross†Channel is an eroge by Flying Shine, written by Romeo Tanaka.  The game was released on PC in 2003, with a PS2 edition in 2004.  A PSP version was released in 2010, followed by an Xbox 360 version in 2011.  I had read a lot of praise about this game, and was lucky enough to find it at a used game store in Akihabara that I just happened to stumble across the last time I was there.  At ¥7,800, the game isn't cheap even today, but I'm glad I picked it up.

Actually, allow me to digress a little and share a story.  I walked into the store and asked the guy at the counter about the game.  He didn't understand me so I asked for some paper and a pencil.  On the paper I drew the stylized logo from the box and showed him.  His face lit up and immediately led me into the bowels of the store, where they had a single copy of the game.  He said "Ahh.. Japanese PC only.."  I laughed and assured him that it was okay.  Those of us that read these things have ways around that, obviously.

Anyway, on to the review.

Cross†Channel takes place in a city where only eight people live.  After an ill-fated weekend camping trip in the mountains, Taichi (our hero), and the other members of the radio broadcasting club return to an empty city.  The streets, stores, and homes are absent, yet lack any evidence of conflict or panic.  The people have simply disappeared.  The characters must come to terms with the fact that the world has essentially ended.  To some, this is a crushing reality, but to Taichi, it's like his dreams have come true.  With no responsibility and no one to reign him in, he's free to do whatever he desires.  The bulk of the game occurs at Gunjou Institute, which Taichi and the club members attend.  The Institute is a high school for young people who are unable to adapt to life in normal society, due to physical or mental problems.

Best girl.
Reading Cross†Channel was extremely enjoyable.  The author has such a way with words that many  scenes in the game are immensely thought-provoking.  Settings are enriched by the vivid flow of a colorful (if somewhat unusual) use of language.   Human social interactions are the main focus of this game.  The main character, Taichi, is a severely unsettled individual.  Due to trauma experienced when he was a child, Taichi completely closed his heart.  Putting up a wall around himself, he quickly finds that he's very adept at manipulating people by simply reacting to others.  He lives only to satisfy his selfish, shallow desires.  He toys with the emotions of those around him and uses them for his own amusement.  This cycle leaves him completely empty and his self-loathing becomes so intense that finally he reaches a breaking point.  In a devastated world of only eight people, Taichi becomes aware of the necessity of human relationships, and struggles desperately to repair the void he's left between himself and his classmates.

The artwork and OST in Cross†Channel are very lackluster, in my opinion.  However, the characters are extremely complex.  I loved this game because its characters are so well-written.  While each member of Gunjou Institute is unbalanced in some way, they're very human.

Cross†Channel was an extremely confusing game to complete for me.  Instead of having girls that you pursue, the game follows a mostly linear plot (getting the girls along the way), but you must make exact choices or you'll be stuck forever in a loop at week three, and there wasn't any feeling of "I should choose this," while playing the game.  The correct answers seem completely random.  Because of this, I would say that a walkthrough is required for this game.  Also, the "skip" function skips unread text as well as already read text.  This is infuriating when you're trying to repeat certain parts of the game.

This is an eroge and definitely not for all ages.  Some of the situations are downright disturbing, going to show just how base of a creature Taichi can be.  Though I suppose you could use the skip function to get past the H scenes, there's no way to skip them outright.  If you're not into that, or can't ignore it, be warned.

"I don't mind caring about people for my own sake.  So that tomorrow, I can become just a little bit better.  I still have friends.  To build up a relationship is also to cover the heart in wounds.  It's a painful thing, not beautiful at all.  I thought that people needed other people.  That is why.. I believe there are still people somewhere listening to this broadcast." 

No comments:

Post a Comment